Drupal 8 has introduced some pretty big changes to the way things are done. Although this is very exciting, it can seem rather daunting to those of us who have a steep learning curve ahead. This ever-growing list of tutorials and resources should hopefully help get you up and running.
Please comment if you think of anything worth adding to the list.
Other learning & resource lists
- Free Drupal 8 Tutorial list - extensive list of D8 tutorials helpfully broken down into categories.
- Top Resources for Getting Started with Drupal 8 - a good list of Drupal 8 resources for devs, themers & users.
- Drupal 8 Blog Series & Resources - another comprehensive list of Drupal 8 related content.
- Drupal Watchdog Drupal 8 articles - a list of D8 related content from this well known Drupal publisher.
- 6 steps for new Drupal 8 developers - a post discussing OOP, Composer, Symphony, routing & controllers, plugins, dependency injection & the service container.
- Intro to Drupal 8 vocabulary - for those new to Symphony this will help getting you started
- Module development for Drupal 8 | Module development in Drupal 8 compared with Drupal 7
- Modeling data with fields
- Drupal 8 RESTful services webinar
- Drupal 8 developer prep - includes posts detailing things like module development and Object Oriented programming basics
- Drupal 8's Block Plugin API - blog post looking at how a module developer might create custom blocks in Drupal 8
- Standardisation, the Symfony Way - video discussing the fundamental philosophy of Symfony
- Understanding Drupal 8, part 1: the general structure of the framework
Understanding Drupal 8, part 2: The Service Container
Understanding Drupal 8, part 3: Routing
Understanding Drupal 8, part 4: other Drupal 8 concepts
- Working with Drupal 8 & Drush
- Creating a custom Views field in Drupal 8 - tutorial about extending Drupal 8 Views
- PHPUnit and Drupal 8 - introduction to using the PHP industry standard testing framework
- Drupal Console - a suite of tools that you run on a command line interface (CLI) to generate boilerplate code and interact with a Drupal 8 installation.
- Backbone.js and Underscore.js in Drupal 8 - discusses how these libraries are now utilised in core.
- PHP OOP tutorials - get your head around Object Oriented Programming (OOP). It isn't Drupal specific but you will want to be familiar if you're coding for D8.
- Learning Drupal 8 from Boilerplate Code - Learn D8 with the help of the Drupal Console project which is becoming a must have for D8 development.
- Create your first Drupal 8 module - first tutorial in a series on D8 module development which is now more oriented than procedural.
- What Happened to Hook_Menu in Drupal 8? - in D8 hook_menu has been replaced by a system of YAML files.
- Installing and running Drupal 8 in a deployable way - this article will walk you through Drupal 8 installation and configuration sync.
Drupal 8 uses a new template engine which will make theme markup simpler and easier to understand for non-developers.
- Drupal 8 Theming: A Crash Course - video presentation from BADCamp 2015
- What's new for themers - article about Twig, backbone, responsive design, etc.
- Drupal 8 Theming Guide - An extensive collection of posts explaining various aspects of Drupal 8 themeing.
- Official Twig site with documentation
- Introduction to Twig - very basic intro to Twig
- Getting started with Twig webinar
- Twig templating engine - code example of a module integrated with Twig
- Drupal Twig conversion instructions - .tpl.php to html.twig - assist with theme and module conversion
- Debugging Twig in D8 - how to find what variables are available on a template file
- Creating a Drupal 8 Theme with Sass,Singularity & Breakpoint - nice post which steps you through setting up a D8 theme whilst touching on various 'modern' theming techniques & tools
- Views in Drupal 8: Improved Displays - info about the displays available in Views in Drupal 8, including REST export display.
- Deep dive into the anatomy of Drupal 8 theming - a detailed article looking at the fundamentals of theming in D8.
- Drupal 8 Theming Fundamentals - a step by step guide to building a new theme in Drupal 8
- Transitioning from theme() and Theme Functions to Render Arrays and Templates - a presentation taken from BADCamp 2015
- Responsive images in D8 - a look at the Responsive Images & Breakpoints modules which are included in core.
- Creating Links Within Twig Templates Using Path() and Url() - an explanation of using 'routes' in twig, and how to generate URLs to custom pages from your templates.
- What's new for sitebuilders - article listing things that you need to be Drupal 8 ready
- Webforms in Core - Contact forms and the ability to add custom forms are now included in D8 core.
Avid Drupal site builder & user for +10 years.